December 6, 2011

Paperthin Hearts

Life is a funny thing. We think it's so long, that life goes on forever, but it doesn't. Why does it take great tragedy's and hardships to remind us what's truly important? This past year, I lost an old friend in a car accident. He was 18. We played little league baseball together. It's hard to believe that he's gone. I still remember the last time I saw him. It was back in 2009 at a mutual friend's sweet-16. I never would've guessed that it would be the last time I saw him alive.

Even we grow older, the memories fade, and the names are forgotten there are some people who just stick with you. When I was in 7th grade at church camp, I met this one girl from Georgia. I can't remember her name but I will never forget her face or the sound of her voice. I don't know why she sticks out in my mind, she just does. Something about her character I guess. I felt that she honestly cared about me.

I just recently met another person like that. It was in history class. I don't know why we started talking, we just did. I saw her sitting around in the lounge on campus when I decided to talk to her. It was strange, I had never talked to her previously, but there was this unseen force that pulled me towards her. It was this feelings that weighed upon my soul that urged me to speak to her. When I talked to her, it was like I had found a kindred spirit. Even though I had just met her, I knew deep down that I had found someone I could trust. For the first time in over a year, I found someone who made me feel completely at peace. This had only happened to me once before. I never could've imagined that I'd find such a good friend.

As I progress in life, I do my best to cherish the time I have with friends. This life is but a vapor, here today but gone tomorrow. Life is so fragile. We never know when this moment could be our last. We must cherish the times we have with friends and family and share our love freely as a gift to the world. Life is too short, too cold to live without letting those around that we care. The worst thing that can happen is that person knows that they are loved. And that's pretty dang good.